Issues with your Post Graduate Accommodation

Universities that provide halls of residence must belong to a government approved code or be licensed by the local authority.

The codes aim to ensure that you have safe, good quality accommodation. This means that they can offer you a way of dealing with things if something isn't right in your accommodation. This page outlines more information on the codes and how you can use them.

What are the codes?

There are three codes and your university will have signed up to one of the first two codes below. The third code is for halls of residence owned and managed by private companies. The codes are the:

  1. Universities UK/Guild HE Code of Practice for the Management of Student Housing, often known as the Student Accommodation Code
  2. Accreditation Network UK (ANUK)/Unipol Code of Standards for Larger Residential Developments for student accommodation managed and controlled by educational establishments
  3. ANUK/Unipol Code of Standards for Larger Developments for student accommodation not managed and controlled by educational establishments.

For those Imperial Students living in gradpads, they will be defined under either 2 or 3

What do the codes cover?

The codes set out standards to measure the good management practice of student accommodation. There are standards on a range of areas such as:

  • repairs and maintenance
  • fire, gas and electrical safety
  • security
  • management of your tenancy/licence
  • complaints.

The codes can therefore be a very useful resource to see what your landlord should be doing. If you find that your accommodation falls short of the standards set out in the relevant code then you can do something about it.

Making a complaint

If you’re not happy with your accommodation, you should report the problem to your accommodation manager in the first instance. If nothing happens or you don't think the problem has been resolved then you can consider making a complaint using the code. More information about the complaints procedure under each of the codes is available for you to make your complaint.